LYMM 2nd XV 39 – 36 WATERLOO 2nd XV

Saturday 2nd March 2019

Halbro North West Leagues


Report by Malcolm Pritchard

Lymm entertained Waterloo at Beechwood in a game they had to win, results being close in the last three games. Conditions were good underfoot with a strong breeze blowing down the pitch towards the clubhouse. Lymm had a stronger side than last week but Waterloo have been competitive in every game and would provide a stern challenge.

Waterloo kicked off with the wind behind them. Lymm had emphasised before the match to start strongly especially after slow starts in recent week. They collected the kick and drove hard at Waterloo to go down the pitch retaining possession and offloading in the tackle. To their credit Waterloo tackled well and eventually repelled the attack after 15 phases of play. However the pressure told and from a quick tap penalty close to the line, Nick Ashton drove over for his first try of the season, which Josh Davies converted. Lymm continued to pressure Waterloo with Will Baldwin leaping well in the line out. Then after the first real attack by Waterloo they scored an unconverted try. Lymm bounced back with more good interpassing, resulting in Rob Makin driving over for an unconverted try.

The game was now moving from end to end with both sides showing a reluctance to tackle. For Lymm, Paddy Jennings was proving a handful with his strong runs and he scored one try and created two others for John Long and Henry Simpson, with Josh Davies converting one. But Waterloo also scored 2 tries through their fast centre and Lymm never really got away from them on the scoreboard.

HT 29-19.

At halftime coach Peter Millachip wanted Lymm to use the wind effectively and keep the pace of the game high, which had provided dividends in the first half. Obviously Waterloo had not read the script and almost immediately scored two quick unconverted tries to level the scores after only 5 minutes of the half. Lymm regained some composure and led by Paddy Jennings and James Lewis drove to the Waterloo line, the result of which was a penalty converted by Josh Davies. And it was that man again who took a switch pass from Henry Simpson to drive through a number of tackles to crash over for a try which he converted. Waterloo were not finished and it was their centre again who scored from way out after more poor tackling.

39-36 with 20 minutes to go we wondered what final score would be. Waterloo then started to pile on the pressure close to the Lymm line but their defensive mind set changed and led by James Lewis and Henry Simpson they managed to keep Waterloo at bay, eventually winning a penalty and clearing their lines. In the last five minutes Lymm managed to keep play in Waterloo’s half by tactical kicking.

Ft 39-36

Lymm ground out a win and at times played some of their best Rugby of the season. However their defence, except for the last twenty minutes, was poor.  There were some excellent performances with James Lewis outstanding in attack and defence, and Paddy Jennings man of the match with his dynamic running proving a handful for the Waterloo defence.

Next Saturday, 9th March, Lymm 2’s are at home to Vale of Lune 2’s KO 3pm

Squad: J Hamer, R Forrest, P Jennings, J Davies, J Reynolds, H Simpson, J Wadsworth, J Long, J Lewis, K Soni, H Baldwin, W Baldwin, J Sherlock R Makin, N Ashton. Rep, J Harper, D Coon, O Thornton

Other Result



You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *