Lymm Junior Colts 58, Liverpool Collegiate Junior Colts 0

Lymm 58, Liverpool Collegiate 0

Following the cancelled game last week due to the weather, this week saw the lads play Liverpool Collegiate for the first time at this level. We had a few missing through injury and work but still managed a decent squad.

The opposition team were huge, particularly the pack and it was obvious from the start where their strengths were and that playing our usual wide game should bring dividends.

There was a strong wind blowing straight up the pitch towards the bank and it was Lymm that chose to play with the wind at their backs in the first period. This paid off because within 2 minutes of the kick off a quick penalty in midfield lead to Hadland going over in the corner to take a 5-0 lead.

Almost immediately we were back on the attack and from a ruck on the Liverpool 22, Bushell burst down touchline and popped a delightful pass inside to Simpson who went in under posts with Brown hitting the extra points to increase the lead to 12-0.

Straight from the kick off, Senior went on a run cutting open the defence and when he was brought down meters short of the line he offloaded to the supporting Simpson who crashed over for his second. Brown made it 19-0 with the conversion.

Minutes later Lymm secured the bonus point (Or he would have if bonus points still existed for 4 tries) after Murphy burst through the defence, chipped the full back and followed up to score in the corner. 24-0.

There then followed a period of 15 minutes where players aimlessly went into contact when the smart rugby was being played out wide where Liverpool had no defenders. Eventually Norman cut back and went through under posts giving Brown and easy conversion to push the lead out to 31-0.

Before the half time whistle went, Murphy over for his second of the game giving a healthy 36-0 lead at the break.

At half time 3 players left to help the Senior colts away at Chester leaving a bare 15 to see out the game.

Almost immediately from the restart Norman went over in the corner for his second and a 41-0 lead.

Then followed the first real ‘team’ try of the game that started with Liverpool putting us under pressure on our own line we turned the ball over and worked our way upfield, popping the ball inside to supporting runners and eventually setting Brown free to run down the wing, cut inside and go under the posts. He converted his own try to move the lead further out to 48-0.

We then went down to 14 men when Price went of injured and then to 13 when the ref produced a yellow card for persistent offending. We were now without a front row sub so had to go to passive scrums.

It didn’t seem to matter though as Liverpool consistently squandered the overlap by taking the ball back into contact. The defence held strong and we managed to clear our lines and work the ball up the pitch. Once the yellow card was spent and we were back to 14, a delightful delayed pass from Wadsworth put Norman through on an angle to stroll in for his 3rd of the day and finish the game off at 53-0.

There was time for one more try when a move down the line and a loop with Brown put Hopkinson over in the corner giving a final score of 58-0.

Scorers were:


Norman x 3

Murphy x 2

Simpson x 2





Brown x 4


Next week we have a home game v Winnington Park in the Cheshire Cup – 12:30 KO


You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *