Macclesfield U17 Colts 8 – 17 Lymm U17 Colts – LYMM THROUGH TO CHESHIRE JNR COLTS CUP FINAL

Thursday 29th March 2018

Cheshire Junior Colts Cup Semi-Final

MACCLESFIELD U17’s 8 – 17 LYMM U17’s

Report by Nick Price

On a miserable evening, more akin to January, we pitched up at Macc in anticipation of a tough semi-final against our old adversaries, whom we hadn’t played since this time last year in the semi-final of the U16 Cheshire cup. That was an incredibly tight and close affair where we came out winners by the ‘scoring more try’s rule.

Macc, like us, were suffering from missing players, although to be fair, they were in a worse position than we were with injuries but still had a formidable team on display and had the benefit of a season playing up an age in the senior colt’s league.

Just before kick-off there was a torrent of rain making the pitch sticky and the handling slippery.

The game got underway at 18:00 hours with Lymm showing their intent by bashing the ball up the middle. This had some effect to begin with and the gain line was broken on several occasions and but for some handling errors, chances may have been taken. During that period, we were awarded a penalty just on the 22 line to the left of the posts which Price slotted between the posts.

Kiran Soni breas down the left

Lymm continued in the same fashion but it was becoming obvious that the Macc defence had tightened their game and some of our ball carriers were being met by two or sometimes three defenders in the tackle and getting pushed back. This again forced us into mistakes but we still had plenty of possession to work with and with 14 minutes left of the half, following good work by the forwards; the ball was whipped right then left. However, the Macc defence held firm and managed to win a penalty in their own 22. The ball failed to find touch and Lymm ran it back out of defence. The ball was quickly spread down the line where a flat pass from Simpson put Senior in at the angle for a lovely try converted by Price and taking the lead to 10-0.

Joe Senior crosses for Lymm’s 1st try

From the restart Lymm infringed at a ruck and the Macc fullback slotted the penalty. 3-10 to Lymm.

Macc were now in the ascendancy and attacked in waves. They won several penalties but declined the kicks and went for the throat. At one lineout the hooker peeled off and went for the corner. He dived to score only for Senior to come flying across and smash him into touch for an incredible try saving tackle.

With 5 minutes to go Lymm broke out of defence and worked their way up field where slick hands saw Norman crash back inside to score wide out. Price slotted the conversion to give a half time lead of 3-17.

George Norman crosses for Lymm’s 2nd try

The second half was a close and tense affair with both side having plenty of possession in midfield but unable to make any reel inroads to the opposition defence. However, the lions share was now going to Macc and they produced some superb defensive tackles to thwart Lymm and eventually it paid off as a period of pick and drive from the rucks paid dividends when they crashed over to score. The conversion went just wide but it meant with only minutes to play that Lymm had to get hold of the ball and close the game down which they eventually did and ensured a cup final slot for the 2nd year running.

Our thanks to Macc for their hospitality and a superb game of rugby played in the best spirit of the game.

Squad: T. Hopkinson, M. Leach, A. Bushell, C. Gray, E. Yates, A. McCauley, S. Dickenson, O. Brown, K. Soni, J. Wadsworth, A. Simpson, J. Rooney (C), J. Hadland, H. Ratcliffe, J. Senior, R. Spencer-Price, J. Johnson, Q. Peers, G. Inman, H. Aird, J. Heaton, G. Norman, L. Walsh


You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *